Friday 3 July 2015

Special Feature: Kevwe on Dashiki Prints

Hello fashionistas,

This month I wanted to do something different in featuring others on the blog in subjects that I have become passionate about.  Therefore, I  have started to interview others on their work and so on. Today I will be talking about Dashiki Prints.

Dashiki print has become the center of the Fashion world trending worldwide and popular with the celebrities. These lovely prints made from African fabrics are trending on social network like there is no tomorrow.

Today I have decided to feature  a special man on my blog who inspired me to wear Dashiki prints.i have recently purchased three for myself, 2 tops and 1 dress, which I will be featuring on the blog later on so I can show you guys how I have styled it.

Firstly, I wanted to go in more depth about the prints, therefore, interviewed Kevwe who is a Nigerian producer/actor/ host and a strong ambassador for African attire/ outfits. I wanted to know why he was so passionate about the dashiki prints.  Being African myself,  I have also come to love African prints, as before I was resentful towards wearing them purely on the basis of not wanting to look weird, but fashion is an expression of your soul on the outside. In all means, wear what you want when you feel like it. In my case I dress appropriately, of course and encourage others to do the same. so here is a mini interview  with the dashiki designer himself.

My name is Ongunje Kevwe A.K.A Prince, an MC, Actor,  Producer and a strong ambassador for African attire/outfit.

Can you please give a brief background on the dashiki prints?
Th prints I use come from Tanzania and it is processed by ‘All Things African’ who are responsible for exporting them into the UK for myself and other designers. It represents the hard work and labour of Africans; it is very authentic, still not machine washable, but the quality is getting there.

What made you wear dashiki prints?
My quest to look different and always remember my culture made me become a Dashiki Ambassador. 

What do you like most about dashiki prints?
The simple fact that it is purely African.

How do you associate it with African culture?
The prints come from Africa and it is designed and sewn by me and I am an African.

 Why are you a fan of dashiki prints?
It makes me stand out and people from other international communities keep asking me questions like ‘ where did you get it from
Do you see this becoming a big fashion statement?
It is already a fashion statement, mostly with the way I pull it out.

How can we uplift the African economy/fashion industry through clothing?
The economy can be uplifted if our outfits and designs are being respected and sold by reputable retailers in the bigger economies and more developed countries, one way to go and achieve this is through consistency in production and quality in the designs produced. 
       
There’s no doubt that this is a big fashion statement and a must have for the hot weather. In fact, it is very light and easy to wear, but stylish. As a lover of simplicity I love the fact that it is actually very simple and makes you stand out at the same time.


All designed by himself Kevwe 


photo credit: BFace Manchester 
Spotted on Zendaya Coleman 

Chris Brown was amongst the first to wear Dashiki Prints



If you would like to get hold of one of these amazing fabrics  contact me.
If you’re interested in featuring on Elle for this month only and have something interesting to show to the world, by all means contact me too.

Thank you so much and as always,
I love you for reading
Love Elle xoxo                                                        

2 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one these days..
    african maxi skirts for sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have developed some nice practices and we are looking to exchange strategies with others, why not shoot me an email if interested.
    afrocentric maxi dresses

    ReplyDelete